venerdì 1 ottobre 2010

"Depuis que je personnifie la sauvage sur la scène, j'ai essayé d'être aussi civilisée que possible dans la vie quotidienne " J.B.


These days browsing the internet has become as natural as breathing. I'm looking for an accommodation in Florence,but to find the perfect place seems harder than ever this year. In the meanwhile I'm floating in a sea of boredom and uninteresting things.

Anyway. I happened to be perusing VOGUE.it today.
Has to be said, even if I recognize the importance and the influence of this legendary magazine, that I'm not an usual reader of VOGUE even though I generally buy L'UOMO and all its September Issues. Juste pour être claire, je n'aime pas particulièrement Vogue Paris que je trouve déroutant et délibérément trop français e amo profondamente l'edizione Italiana che trovo sempre fastidiosamente piacevole.

While reading, my attention has been caught by the title VOGUE BLACK and so I clicked on it.
I actually liked what I found before me and I was really pleased to see how Franca Sozzani is intelligently promoting black beauty through the web pages of her magazine continuing what was first started with the July 2008 Black Issue (which featured only black models) and the 2009 Black Barbie Issue.


But after 30 minutes of perusing I started to be critical. What kind of reader is the one who read this column? BLACK VOGUE is a part of VOGUE.it which is related to the Italian version of the iconic magazine (yes I know, the magazine has a world influence.) and in Italy people of African descent are a paltry minority which majority is represented by immigrants belonging to a social environment that often doesn't even acknowledge the existence of BLACK VOGUE on VOGUE.it.

Unlucky a black bourgeoisie doesn't exist in our country (and if it does it is really rare). So is Black Vogue a useless promotion of black beauty? I don't know. As a person of color I sincerely don't know how to feel about it; indeed it is uncommon to read about la beauté noire, but at the same time I can feel like a sort of white “colonialist” fascination behind it...
I don't know if you get what I mean.. I hate to say this... but minorities can understand.

Finally another aspect that concerns me is the fact that the beauty products suggested are not even distributed in regular Italian drug stores and to be bought, you would have to go to the ethnic neighborhoods of Italy's major cities.
The conclusion? They should give me a job and try to be at least specific. Snap!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento